Minnesota Board of Cosmetologist Examiners
Exam Waiver Process effective 11-1-2012
Please review the following important information regarding Exam Waivers (for the National or State Portion).
The Minnesota Cosmetology theory exams contain two parts: National and State (Minnesota Laws & Rules) parts.
Candidates who are licensed in another state or tested in another state may decide that they want to take the STATE PART of the exam.
Candidates who wish to take only the State part of the exam may do so by contacting a Pearson VUE Call Center representative and advising them that they only need to take the State part of the exam and are requesting an Exam Waiver. A Call Center representative will have the waiver applied (within 24-48 hours). Once the waiver has been applied, the candidate may proceed with making their exam reservation.
On rare occasions, candidates may also request a waiver of the STATE part. Candidates who qualify for a waiver of the state part of the exam may utilize this same process to request a waiver of the state part of the exam.
If you’d prefer to submit your request online, you may instead complete the Exam Waiver Request form prior to scheduling your exam.
Please note: The Test Center Administrator will not be able to apply an Exam Waiver at the test center.
The Exam Waiver process
- Contact the Pearson VUE Call Center using the toll free number and advise the representative that you are requesting an Exam Waiver (and which part of the exam you need to take). Do NOT call the Board for an exam waiver.
- Complete the Exam Waiver Request (Word® Document)
Email, fax or mail the completed Exam Waiver Request Form to Pearson VUE.
- Pearson VUE will process your Exam Waiver request and will send you an email confirmation that the Exam Waiver has been applied.
- After you receive the email confirmation, you are ready to schedule your appointment by visiting www.pearsonvue.com or by calling Pearson VUE.
How to submit the Exam Waiver Request Form
Please choose one of the following options:
- Email the Exam Waiver Request Form to: PearsonVUEWaiversRequests@pearson.com (this is the preferred method)
- Fax Exam Waiver Request Form to 1-952-516-5473
- Mail Exam Waiver Request Form to:
Attn: Client Waivers Request
5601 Green Valley Drive
Bloomington MN 55437
Mailing the information will result in the longest processing time because it will take longer for Pearson VUE to receive the information. Please consider emailing or faxing for the fastest turnaround.
Please Note: Supporting documentation is not required for Pearson VUE to process your Exam Waiver request for Minnesota Cosmetology.
Please note: at the time a license application is submitted, the Minnesota Board of Cosmetologist Examiners will make its final determination about whether the applicant has submitted proof of completion of all requirements.