Due to the current winter storm Thor in the United States, we are experiencing high volumes of site closures. We are working diligently to contact all affected candidates by email and phone. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service.
The National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO) offers three examinations through Pearson VUE: the Advanced Competency in Medical Optometry (ACMO) exam, the Part II – Patient Assessment and Management (PAM) exam, and the Treatment and Management of Ocular Disease (TMOD) exam. Candidates should refer to the NBEO’s web site www.optometry.org for information about these exams, including content, format, eligibility criteria and scoring, as well as registration requirements and deadlines.
All NBEO examinations are event-based exams, administered on a single day.
- ACMO: administered one time in 2015 on June 4
- CPDO: administered twice in 2015 on March 12 and September 24
- PAM: administered twice in 2015 on April 7 and December 1/3*
- TMOD: administered twice in 2015 on April 7 and December 3
*The December PAM examination will be administered on two days. Candidates may choose to test on either December 1 or December 3, depending on their preference and schedules.
Registration and Scheduling Information
Candidates wishing to take an NBEO examination must register and pay the examination fee using the NBEO’s online registration process at www.optometry.org. Once registration is processed, the candidate will receive an email from the NBEO with information needed to set up a web account with Pearson VUE for the purpose of selecting a test center location. In order to secure a seat at a convenient location, candidates are urged to schedule through Pearson VUE as early as possible. NBEO examinations are administered at test centers in the USA, Puerto Rico, and Canada only.
Pearson Professional Centers are designed solely for high-stakes testing. This online tour will help you become more familiar with the testing environment you can expect on the day of your exam.
NBEO Computer-Based Testing Tutorials
These tutorials show you how to navigate through a computer-based exam, and give you the opportunity to practice taking a demonstration test. Candidates have the opportunity to view the same tutorial at the Pearson VUE test center just prior to taking their examination.
It is highly recommended that you review the tutorial for your specific exam prior to arrival at the test center.
|NBEO Part II (PAM/TMOD) Tutorial *||MSI (EXE)||79.6 MB|
|NBEO CPDO Tutorial *||MSI (EXE)||83.5 MB|
|NBEO ACMO Tutorial *||MSI (EXE)||78.8 MB|
* Windows-based PC required; Tutorial is not available for Mac platforms
Tutorial System Requirements
All computers at Pearson Professional Centers are Windows-based PCs.
- Pentium III PC or compatible, 1 GHz (Pentium 4, 2 GHz recommended). Macintosh computers are not supported.
- 512 MB of RAM
- 60 MB of empty hard disk space
- Microsoft Windows XP or 2000 (home or professional version), English edition. The content appears only in English.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or higher
- Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher resolution monitor (1024 x 768 recommended) with high color (16 bit)
- Microsoft compatible mouse or pointing device
- Internet access is not required when viewing the tutorial or practice exams.